We are now accepting applications to the 2021 Sewanee Writers’ Conference. The application deadline is March 15. The Conference will be held from July 20–August 1. We offer workshops in fiction, poetry, playwriting, and nonfiction. Our program also includes an individual meeting with a faculty member, readings, craft lectures, and master classes.
Our hope is that we’ll be able to hold the conference as usual, but we are well aware that circumstances may intervene. So we’re planning for a standard conference, for a socially distanced conference, and for the worst-case scenario of cancellation. (At this moment, should we have to cancel, our plan is to once again offer a robust summer-long slate of virtual workshops and master classes.)
At our next conference, whether or not that is 2021, we will be honoring acceptances to the 2020 Conference. This means that we have a smaller number of slots available this year. We welcome all to apply, but please be aware that we expect competition for the remaining spots to be stiff. In 2022, we hope to return to our usual process and acceptance rate. Exciting Additions to the Conference Include:
- Adding two nonfiction workshops and a second playwriting workshop to complement our fiction and poetry workshops
- Offering small master classes on a variety of craft and professional topics
- Offering one-on-one meetings for participants with all editors, agents, and theater professionals
- Opening with a session called The Ethics of Workshop in which we will have a community conversation about some of the challenges that arise as we come together to discuss our work
- Broadening our community through strengthening our commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Emphasizing sustainability
We’re also thrilled to welcome our 2021 faculty and visitors.